I love to bake! And at least once a month, I like to spread the wealth by bringing in my tasty treats to my coworkers. And as Peyton gets older, she’s starting to get involved in the kitchen activities (which is precious!). So, this week, I want to share my “no-fail”, “go-to” recipe for Banana Chocolate Chip Bread. It’s the kind of dessert that you can’t stop at just one slice. It can be an after dinner treat or the perfect companion to your morning cup of coffee. And it’s a treat that will have everyone asking you for the recipe!
I have been making Banana Chocolate Chip bread since my childhood, growing up in San Diego. It’s a really simple bread to make, as long as you follow the directions. The key: sour cream. I use a few tablespoons of it and then mix in the baking soda and baking powder. As you can see, the mixture will foam.
That’s the first thing I do before creaming the butter and sugar. Just set it aside and continue with the recipe. You’ll add the eggs and vanilla, then the bananas. I like to use really brown ones, they are the most flavorful and easier to mix. Here’s a tip: Anytime you have brown bananas you aren’t using, just throw them in the freezer. Then it doesn’t go to waste. I use them for bread or smoothies.
This recipe will make two large loaves. The cooking time varies. It might take one hour, or it could take 1 hour 15 minutes. Just make sure to keep an eye on it at about an hour. Enjoy and let me know what you think!
Banana Chocolate Chip Bread
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 4 TBSP sour cream
- 1 cup bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 bag of chocolate chips (12 oz)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the baking powder and baking soda with sour cream. Let sit, mixture should “foam”.
- In a mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar. Mix in eggs one at a time. Add bananas and vanilla. Add sour cream mixture. Slowly add flour. Once mixed, add chocolate chips.
- Pour into two bread pans (make sure to first coat with non-stick cooking spray). Bake for 1 hour. Check batter, may need to cook for an addition 15 minutes.